A case of E. coli infection has been connected to frozen beef burgers recalled by the Canadian division of Safeway grocery stores last week, Canadian health officials announced on Wednesday.
At least one patient in the Regina, Saskatchewan area has fallen ill with E. coli O157:H7 after eating a frozen burger under one of two brand names: Gourmet Meat Shoppe or Butcher’s Cut.
Health officials say the patient fell ill before Safeway issued its Feb. 19 recall and is now recovering.
The burgers were sold in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, Ontario and Saskatchewan.
The known recalled products are the “Gourmet Meat Shoppe Big & Juicy Burger” and the “Gourmet Meat Shoppe Prime Rib Burger” sold in Safeway stores.
Affected products have a best-by date of August 14, 2013.
The recall resulted from an ongoing investigation by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency at the producer’s meat plant.